Why Ollie Watkins is not playing for Aston Villa against Brighton | Football

Ollie Watkins is not in the Aston Villa squad to face Brighton on Sunday afternoon amid speculation that he will leave the club.
The England international has been heavily linked with a move to Saudi Arabia after interest from Al-Hilal.
Villains boss Unai Emery confirmed in his pre-match press conference that offers have been made for the 30-year-old and that he could leave before the transfer window closes.
‘We have an issue with him, it’s clear. He is our player. We have had offers for him,’ said Emery on Friday.
Exclusive Premier League previews
Get ahead of the start of the season with our weekly football newsletter. Sign up now for free.
‘I don’t want to sell him but it can change because if it’s a good option for him and the club and I can replace him in the squad, this is the routine we have and we did before with the players who are leaving.
‘With Ollie, he is here, for me he is a fantastic striker, we have always believed in him.
‘Now he is our player, there are 10 days more or less to finish the transfer window, we will see what happens, I’m happy with him, if he is staying with us he will continue playing his level.

‘If he leaving it’s because it is good for three ways, one is him, another is the club and another is the team.’
In Watkins’ absence, Villa are starting without a recognised striker as Tammy Abraham and Brian Madjo are both out with injury.
Ask Metro
Use AI to go deeper into the stories you care about – powered by Metro and trusted publications.
New signing Joao Gomes is in the starting XI, along with John McGinn, Emi Buendia and teenager George Hemmings.
It has been a difficult summer for Aston Villa in the transfer market, despite returning to the Champions League after winning the Europa League last season.

Morgan Rogers has left for Chelsea, Ezri Konsa has gone to Arsenal, Lucas Digne has joined Paris Saint-Germain and Youri Tielemans has signed for Manchester United.
As well as Gomes, Villa have brought in midfielder Johan Manzambi from Freiburg, left-back Matteo Ruggeri from Atletico Madrid and goalkeeper Zion Suzuki from Parma.
Manzambi misses the opening weekend with a knee problem, while Ruggeri and Suzuki are on the bench at Brighton.
Emiliano Martinez is not in the squad, with the Argentina star expected to leave before the transfer window closes as well.

Emery explained earlier this week that Martinez has made it clear he wants to take on a new challenge.
‘He transmitted to us the possibility to have another challenge in his career,’ said the manager. ‘Not now, even last year, he was thinking in case he can have one possibility to change and he didn’t do last year, and he performed fantastic with us.
‘This year again, he transmitted us the possibility to have another challenge, and we decided to sign Suzuki because I think he’s a fantastic goalkeeper in case Martínez is leaving.’
MORE: Tottenham urged to sign former Arsenal star in shock £10m transfer
MORE: The four Tottenham players Roberto De Zerbi hit out at after Brentford defeat
MORE: ‘He really goes missing’ – Manchester United star slammed after Hull City defeat